Saturday, May 10, 2008
Search Facilities!

Weather's been really humid lately, be sure to hydrate yourselves!

Oh yes, during our UIR lab lesson on Friday, we were suppose to finish our practical 4 and 5.
Basically, that practical's about the different internet search facilities available and I'm suppose to evaluate how effective they were.

I learnt that in the search field, we can actually use keyword variations.
For example, the word "impact" can be replaced with words such as "effect", "cause", consequences".

Another example would be, replacing the word "youth" with "teens", "teenagers" or "adolescent".

And also, in the search field, we can broaden or limit the search results by using operators such "AND" or "OR".

I spent the 2nd hour of the lesson choosing three search facilites as well as evaluating them.

Search Engine - Google

Meta Search Engine - Clusty

(Although Ms Faridah chose Metacrawler to be her meta search engine, I would like to try Clusty out)

Subject Directory - Yahoo Directory



My Evaluation...


Strengths

Google gave me the most relevant results compared to the Clusty and Yahoo Directory.

As for organization wise, I would prefer Clusty as it allows results to be categorized into clusters, therefore, being more organized.

Weakness

Although Yahoo directory provides related directory categories at the top left hand corner of the page, it doesn’t show related results.

For example, I entered a search phrase such as “Drug abuse and youth”, it only shows me results on “drugs abuse”, there is hardly any result that shows both “drug abuse” and “youth” together.

Conclusion

So on the whole, I prefer Google to the other two search facilities!
Maybe I'm biased towards Google because I have been using Google for years to search for anything under the sun.
But seriously, Googles is simple, organized and it gives me fantastic results, so I won't hesitate to choose it as my favourite!


Hey, I would like to share a few toddler pictures of me with you... yes you!




It's a saturday today and I've just submitted my IP application, wish me luck!
Enjoy your weekends!
(:


Profile!
Tilynn Low

250689

Cancerian

Temasek Polytechnic

Wish!

I Want All These!

More Clothes!

To Be Healthy

Switzerland/Australia/Hokkaido

Gold For Napfa

Driving License

Ka-Chinggg


Hates!

To Be Sick

Moodswings


The Links!
My LJ
Grace
Grace's Site Feed
Jackie
Jackie's Site Feed
Yang Lin
Romano
Shu Ting

Facebook
Wikipedia

TAG ME!


The history!
May 2008

jukebox!